Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hello! I have linked this blog on facee book- so if you found it from there you are in the right place. My personal goal is to blog more often- but the other moms who post on this blog are AWESOME, and have great insight.

So today I got to meet face to face with Christine Moers from www.welcometomybrain.net who is a "trauma-celebrity". She's "traumfamous" for her witty, honest, and authentic approach to implementing therapeutic parenting. It was awesome, her kids are adorable, and she was....herself. LOL just like you read her to be. What she is, whether she knows it or not, is a gifted writer. Her writing is a clear picture of who she is: caring, authentic, genuine, and cool.

One of the many things we discussed I will touch on briefly for you now:
"I can't do therapeutic parenting."
We have all said it, felt it, meant it, and well....had moments when it was true.
Therapeutic parenting doesn't mean perfect parenting. It doesn't mean always having the answers. For so many traumatized kids, it means letting them have the chance to go through missed stages of development or responding with the words "I feel angry, I am going to walk away and return in two minutes." You CAN do this. Your child CAN heal. BUT it requires the same kind of commitment you would give to a new born infant who had open heart surgery and severe special needs. Yep. That's right. If you'd just given birth or adopted a special needs baby who was recovering from a heart issue: no one would expect you to be a neat freak, or your hair to be combed, or your socks to match, or your baby to be like other babies, to crawl at the "right" time or for you function above bare minimum capacity. For at least a year, or two, you can cancel your plans. IF you can give therapeutic parenting your honest to goodness attempt you will see positive changes in your child. This is parenting for the long term, not quick fixes. This is rebooting an individuAls life. The transition from fear to hope to happiness isn't easy. But YOU can do it, and you are NOT alone. Don't try to be perfect, just try to be present. Even. When. They. Reject. You. Stay. You are the first person to STAY. Sometimes I like to play this like a challenge with my girl- mentally I am saying "oh yeah! Push me away? Never! My love is stronger than your anger and hurt!" Outside I am responding the best I can to the situation. My best varies from day to day. My level of regulation influences it heavily. Because my daughter is chronologically 9 and emotionally 7-8 on a good day, and healing like crazy- we can talk about my feelings too. I am teaching empathy, social cues, and positive social response when I explain "today I used a loud voice when I felt frustrated. Really I was frustrated about my hard day at work. My voice should have been softer when I said "cookies are available after dinner" instead of "NO MORE COOKIES"." Later I will have these conversations to reference "I noticed you are using a loud voice like I did when I was frustrated yesterday. Would you like to share your big feelings peacefully or would you like to hear what I'm observing through your actions?"

That's right. Imperfect parents take heed: you CAN do this.

5 comments:

  1. For the sake of clarification: the comparison to special needs infants was made by Christine, and she is Absolutely 200% correct. So my elaboration and expansion of that comparison- is based on her (brilliant!) insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes we can do this and you are right Christine is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Colleen! It is hard not to have high expectations for our older children we've adopted. Simple things most kids their age and do, handle, verbalize, do not come so easily for them. We parent therapeutically, but it took a long time to get into the right mindset. Also, the girls started to trigger things in me, and that makes it even more difficult. I started an anti-depressant, and I will say that it's helped me to be a much calmer, composed, and influential mom. I am still jealous you met Christine Moers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we are the first people to stay. Wish I would have found all these resources 2 years ago, but very thankful for them now! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed this post today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions. We all love to learn!